Five Guys Burgers and Fries has been a Washington, DC area favourite since 1986 when Jerry and Janie Murrell offered sage advice to the four young Murrell brothers: “Start a business or go to college.” The business route won and the Murrell family opened a carryout burger joint in Alexandria, Virginia. Under the guidance of Jerry and Janie, the Murrell family served only hand-formed burgers cooked to perfection on a seasoned grill along with fresh-cut fries cooked in pure peanut oil. The little burger joint quickly developed a cult-like following. Press paid attention. Customers voted the burger “#1” in the metro area.
Five Guys quick facts:
- Five Guys was established in Virginia in 1986 by the Murrell family
- The first UK restaurant opened in Covent Garden on 4th July 2013
- Five Guys is the fastest growing restaurant in the UK
- In March 2016 Five Guys knocked Nando’s off the top spot as becoming the UK’s favourite fast food chain (research by Market Force) and won the same award in 2017.
- Five Guys does not have freezers or microwaves in any of its restaurants
- Five Guys handcrafted burgers are grilled to order. Fries are hand cut each morning and cooked in peanut oil
- All ingredients are sourced locally – Five Guys prides itself on the freshness and quality of its ingredients
- Customers can find out which farm the beef and potatoes have come from by checking out the restaurant’s notice board
- There are over 250,000 possible combinations to order a burger at Five Guys
- There are over 1,000 possible ways to customise a Five Guys milkshake